As someone with an autoimmune disorder, I’ve been erring on the safe side by avoiding gluten as much as possible after reading so much about how it contributes to leaky gut syndrome which in turn, worsens my symptoms. But I do miss bread so I’ve found a way around this by ordering a huge bag of coconut flour and trying this recipe from coconut mama!
- 6 Organic Eggs (aka kampong chicken eggs in SG)
- 1/2 Cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey (use Maple Syrup instead)
- 3/4 Cup coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder (optional, makes a lighter loaf)
– didn’t have this on hand so replaced with corn flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon Grain Free Baking Powder
- Handful of Cacao Nibs I just bought as toppings!
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (177 °C).
- Use a medium/large bowl, mix eggs, coconut oil and honey (if using).
- Mix until all the wet ingredients are combined.
- Add coconut flour, arrowroot powder, baking powder and salt to the wet mixture and mix until the batter is lump free.
- Allow the batter to sit for 5 minutes.
- Pour batter into a greased bread pan (I used a medium bread pan, 7 3/8″ x 3 5/8″ x 2″).
- Bake bread until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes.
The bread looked delicious and the recipe was really simple to follow. However, it ended up tasting more like a cake than a fluffy bread. Most probably because of the coconut flour. If I were to do it again, I think I would add more maple syrup to make it sweeter? Maybe something to make it more fluffy like taking out 5 of the egg yolks like in this recipe where Lori explains how egg whites create a “stronger and less dense packed bread”!
That night, my sister had whipped up a sumptuous meal for my parents’ anniversary consisting of an array of mushrooms and seafood with complementary broths. This semi-tough cake-like bread tasted pretty good when some butter was spread on it or when it was dipped with the soup or broth and the various ingredients from dinner was topped on top of it!