It’s that time of the year again where everyone goes crazy over the amazing discounts not just at physical shopping outlets but on most online stores like Amazon.
This time around though, I can’t think of anything I really need. On the contrary, for the past few weeks, I have been thinking of gift ideas for the people close to me like friends and family.
Since Christmas is just around the corner, I figured hey, why not go for some early x’mas shopping?
- Journal: The Five Minute Journal: A Happier You in 5 Minutes a Day
- Radiation/EMF Protection: DefenderShield
- Homecare: Himalayan Salt Lamp
- Skincare: Vintage Tradition Tallow Balm
- Nutrientcare: Home Sprouting Kit
- Book: Leaf to Life by Sebastian Liew
- Book: The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday
- Book: The Miracle of Water by Masaru Emoto
Journal: The Five Minute Journal – A Happier You in 5 Minutes a Day
I’ve tried a number of journals and to date, this is my favourite!
True to its name, you really don’t spend more than 5 minutes on this journal and it will change your life for the better if you keep a consistent journalling habit.
Rooted in positive psychology, there are 3 main sections to this daily journal.
- Gratitude Journalling: possibly the most powerful emotion you can feel to improve every aspect of your health and life positively, you will be practicing it first thing in the morning by writing down 3 things you are grateful for and once again before you sleep in the evening by writing down 3 amazing things that happened that day
- Productivity Journaling: By writing down 3 things that would make today great and then, at the end of the day, reviewing how you could have improved the day, this instills in you a reflective practice of constant personal improvement with regards to how you want to prioritize your day and improve your productivity.
- Affirmations: By writing down a personal affirmation, it’s like “faking it till you make it”. Keep telling yourself you are confident, day-in and day-out, and eventually, I guarantee that your confidence will improve! 😎
How the journal works is also detailed much more in-depth in the first few pages of the journal.
Lastly, I really like the daily quotes that inspire and motivate me as well as the weekly challenges that have helped me overcome a number of common personal fears and insecurities and improved my life for the better.
Definitely my number 1 gift recommendation!
Black Friday Amazon.com link: 5-Minute Journal
Radiation/EMF Protection: DefenderShield
Did you know that using your laptop on your laps like (how they were designed for) can lead to infertility issues in men and women such as up to 25% reduction in sperm count?!
I didn’t know this until I listened to this podcast on the Wise Traditions show.
There are also all kinds of other health damaging effects from our constant exposure to Electromagnetic Radiation (EMF) being emitted from not only our cell phones and laptops, but also the common household items such as the WIFI router, refrigerator, televisions, hair-dryers, microwave ovens and even the wiring in our homes!
Here are just some of the established effects:
- Fertility issues
- Biological damage to DNA leading to Tumors and Cancers
- Headaches, joint aches and pain
- Radiation skin burns
- Concentration and memory loss
- Cognitive impairment and increased risk of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s
- Increased Electrical Sensitivity
- Sleep problems
Thus, in the spirit of giving and caring, consider buying for yourself and your loved ones some EMF protection such as these light yet trendy cell phone cases, EMF-proof earphones and laptop/tablet EMF protection pads.
Black Friday Amazon.com link: Defender Shield
Homecare: Himalayan Salt Lamp
Since we’ve just covered the topic of EMF and its dangers, I thought it would be fitting to include my favourite home-decor gifts – a Himalayan Salt Lamp!
The above video pretty much sums up the major benefits from owning one of these cool lamps at home.
- Emitting negative ions that help neutralize the positive ions (EMF) emitted by electrical devices nearby
- Purify the air – contaminated water molecules are attracted to and get absorbed or “locked” into the salt crystals through a process called Hygroscopy. This includes cigarette smoke dust and other airborne pollutants and toxins.
- Boost health
- clear air passages
- improve sleep and aid in insomnia
- rejuvenating effect equivalent to spending time in nature
- increase energy levels
- boost circulation and blood flow
- enhance mood and counter depression
- Aesthetically pleasing – warm, soft, orange glow is pleasing to the eye and relaxing.
With so many benefits at a relatively cheap cost (<$30), this truly is one of the best gift ideas!
Skincare: Vintage Tradition Tallow Balm
These days the number of skincare products on the market is astounding!
However, how sure are you of the safety or efficacy of these products?
I first discovered Vintage Tradition Tallow Balm after listening to this episode of the Wise Traditions podcast.
Many of the commercially available skin care products are dubiously suspicious with regards to the long-term use on our health. They contain unnatural chemicals, petroleum products, chemically fractionated plant products, and synthetic vitamins – some of which may do more harm to our bodies than good.
Vintage Tradition Tallow Balm is made of sustainably obtained beef tallow (fats) that are much more biocompatible with the human body than plant oils. Traditionally, before the 20th century, our ancestors were wise enough to know that animal fats were great natural skin care products due to their higher amounts of natural fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) and fat-soluble activators, which are found only in animal fats.
Doesn’t it make sense that as animals ourselves, the best skin care products should come from animals?
Of course, I’m not undermining the efficacy of plant oils and skin care and certainly believe there are plant based ones that work well too.
After listening to the podcast, I decided to try a little experiment on my (very skeptical) mother using homemade tallow from brewing my weekly bone broth. You can also learn how to make your own tallow balm at home here. The results speak for themselves!
Above (left) you can see my mum’s very stubborn and dry skin wound that has not been able to heal for many weeks, possibly months. We tried all sorts of moisturizers and creams labelled “natural” or “organic” (don’t believe these labels as they aren’t regulated like organic food is) as well as various plant based skin care like coconut oil.
In the second picture (right), you can see how the dry skin has healed quite a bit and the redness has gone down significantly. She also reported much less itching sensation. This transformation only took 3 days and precisely 3 applications as she only applied it at night before bed!
I’ve also successfully treated my stubborn acne with homemade tallow but at the moment am seriously considering getting these professionally made ones for my mum and family to try out. You should too!
Black Friday shopping link: Tallow Balm by Vintage Tradition
Nutrientcare: Home Sprouting Kit
Recently I’ve started to incorporate much more sprouts into my diet. I love adding them to almost everything from salads to cooked vegetable dishes, wrapping them in seaweed sheets or even just eating them with rice or porridge! My favourites are Alfalfa and Mung Beans and Broccoli sprouts!
There are numerous benefits to eating sprouts as compared to full grown vegetables. Most of these benefits arise because sprouts are the first growth spurts of seeds. Hence their nutrient contents are highly concentrated and if you eat them raw, they are also a rich source of prebiotic – food for the good bacteria in your gut.
In summary, sprouts are highly nutritious superfoods as they:
- are very high in vitamins and minerals
- contain large amounts of enzymes which aids digestion and absorption of nutrients and helps in boosting metabolism
- are very fibre-rich which helps with bowel movement and doubles as a prebiotic (food for beneficial bacteria)
- are richer in protein than full-grown vegetables
- improves blood circulation and red blood cell production
- good source of omega 3 and potassium – good for preventing cardiovascular illnesses
I usually buy sprouts from the organic section of supermarkets but they can get quite expensive once you start enjoying them and add more and more of them in your meals (guilty as charged 😇).
Thus, this home sprouting kit allows you to sprout your own sprouts from any seed you like and save lots of $$$ in the process! Whats more, you feel a great sense of accomplishment and motherly love at having grown your own organic, nutritious superfood!
An added bonus is that this sprouting kit allows for multiple types of sprouts at the same time because they utilize different levels and is less hassle compared to a mason jar sprouting kit or normal garden tray which takes up a fair bit of space.
Black Friday shopping link: Home Seed Sprouting Kit
Book: Leaf to Life
This holiday, if there was one book I would recommend that could improve every aspect of your health and life, it would be Dr. Sebastian’s book: Leaf to Life.
Having consulted him and currently now job-shadowing him, I can tell that he meant every single word he wrote in the book. It is a very well-thought and written book that is simple enough for anyone to read and implement the principles mentioned into their lives. Even my father bought a copy for himself to read after browsing through my copy. I’ve even already bought a few more to give away for christmas!
Content wise, this book is not what you’d expect from a naturopathic doctor and medical herbalist. Initially I thought it would be all about various herbs and their uses for different conditions. Like just another practical herbal guide.
However, it starts from the more holistic point of view such as learning to love yourself and even involves many spiritual-oriented / philosophical principles as seen in Dr. Sebastian’s 9 Credos of Wellness, the first half of his book:
- Credo 1: I love myself
- Credo 2: I open myself to grace
- Credo 3: My body can heal itself
- Credo 4: My life is whole
- Credo 5: I am the co-creator of life
- Credo 6: Nature can heal us
- Credo 7: I am in harmony with all
- Credo 8: Our bodies need unceasing care
- Credo 9: My healing is a journey
The book is filled with many personal examples from both his life and practice where various scenarios have touched him and even transformed him for the better.
In the second half of the book, The 7 Sacred Letters of Wellness, he starts to go into more detail about various herbs and education about dietary and lifestyle changes
I believe in this current age of constant consumerism, distraction and addiction to modern technology, as well as the increasing stress on our bodies through environmental degradation and pollution, Dr. Sebastian’s book is a beacon of hope for anyone looking to learn about the healing power of not just nature, but also how simple shifts in our mindset and thinking can have profound effects on our lives.
Black Friday shopping link: From Leaf to Life: Unlock the Secrets to True Health by Sebastian Liew
Book: The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living
The motive behind this recommendation is similar to the 5-Minute Journal mentioned above – how a seemingly small simple daily habit or change can have a profound effect on your life over the long run.
In the past, many people eagerly sought out the wisdom of wise men such as the stoic scholars, chinese sages, shamans, Jesus, Buddha, etc. They knew that these men had attained a higher level of thinking and living and that learning about their teachings could change their lives for the better.
It wasn’t always easy to be accepted as a disciple or student of these men. Often it involved going through certain trials such as the 40-day fast of Pythagoras.
Thankfully, these days we are blessed with simple, inexpensive avenues for learning about these timeless wisdom such as the I Ching, Art of War, Bible, etc.
A short summary of Stoicism is as follows:
“According to its teachings, as social beings, the path to happiness for humans is found in accepting this moment as it presents itself, by not allowing ourselves to be controlled by our desire for pleasure or our fear of pain, by using our minds to understand the world around us and to do our part in nature’s plan, and by working together and treating others in a fair and just manner.” 
I believe this philosophy is beneficial for everyone in that it can help you grasp the nature of life, its unexpectedness and how to train your mind and soul to respond appropriately and with logic instead of being led by one’s often irrational emotions.
This book about a daily stoic meditation, teachings and exercises will definitely change your life or life of a loved one for the better!
Black Friday shopping link: The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living by Ryan Holiday
Book: The Miracle of Water by Masaru Emoto
I was introduced to this book by a friend and mentor last week. Since picking it up, it has had a profound impact on my life, especially my spiritual life.
Dr. Masaru Emoto has spent many years researching and photographing the effects of our human consciousness on water. Specifically, how our thoughts influence the shape of frozen water crystals. His thousands of experiments have led him to firmly believe that the shape and quality of water can be positively altered by prayer and sending positive and pure thoughts and emotions.
In Love Thyself: The Message from Water III (the book I was reading), he documents and shows his numerous experiments with prayer and water in the form of a photo album.
It is so interesting that the shape of ordinary tap water crystals, which is ugly and has no structured shape due to contaminants and chlorine, can be ‘altered’ by numerous ways such as saying a prayer, sticking a word (printed or written) to the bottle, showing it a picture of a sacred place such as a temple or even the drawing of an artist!
Here you can see some examples of how positive thoughts produce beautiful crystals and how negative ones or environmental pollution produces ugly / unsightly crystals.
To me, this is outright proof of the manifestation of prayer, no matter the religion or form (spoken, written, silent, etc). It has made me more spiritual as I now also know how negative thoughts can be self-destructive and positive ones benefit not only yourself but also the ones you are praying for. This is because water is an essential element of life and no matter the distance (or maybe even across dimensions – afterlife), you pure prayers and thoughts may propagate through the resonance of the water molecules in you.
Black Friday Shopping link: The Miracle of Water by Masaru Emoto
There are probably millions of discounts available this weekend all over the globe. Often times we can get too absorbed in the latest gadgets or trends but do not really consider the long term effects of these items on our overall health and well-being.
I believe there is great joy and satisfaction at giving someone something meaningful that could change their lives for the better and thus hope these gift ideas will benefit both you and your loved ones for many years to come!
P.s. If you’re shopping online, consider using this Google Chrome extension called Rate X. It allows you to avoid hidden transaction fees and bad bank exchange rates whenever you pay for your purchases through the extension. I use it myself and its like an extra discount!
Thanks for taking time to read this, please share if you found this useful!
Questions? Tips? Suggestions? Opinions? I’d love to hear them. Comment below!
It costs you nothing and your support is greatly appreciated!
- The Five Minute Journal: A Happier You in 5 Minutes a Day
- DefenderShield EMF Protection / Radiation Blockers
- Himalayan Salt Lamp (amazon.com, lazada.sg)
- Tallow Balm by Vintage Tradition
- Vintage Tradition Deodorant Tallow Balm
- Home Seed Sprouting Kit
- From Leaf to Life: Unlock the Secrets to True Health by Sebastian Liew
- The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living by Ryan Holiday
- The Miracle of Water by Masaru Emoto
- Love Thyself: The Message from Water III
Links and References:
- Electromagnetic fields and public health
- WISE TRADITIONS PODCAST EPISODE #101: Protect Yourself From Radiation with Daniel DeBaun
- LEARN ABOUT ELECTROMAGNETIC RADIATION (EMF)
- WISE TRADITIONS PODCAST EPISODE #97: Hello Tallow with Andrew Gardner
- How to Make Tallow Balm at Home – Vintage Tradition
- Vintage Tradition Tallow Balm website
- Stoicism – Wikipedia
- Rate X google chrome extension